Encystment in Euglena is a protective mechanism adopted by the organism in response to unfavorable environmental conditions. When conditions become unfavorable, such as scarcity of nutrients or desiccation, Euglena can form a protective cyst or dormant stage to survive the harsh conditions.
- The encystment of Euglena takes place as a protective measure.
- It takes place to tide over unfavorable conditions such as lack of food, lack of oxygen, drought, excessive heat, etc.
- A cyst wall is secreted in the form of a thick, spherical, yellowish brown, and gelatinous covering, composed of a special carbohydrate.
- The thickness of the cyst wall may vary in different species.
- The encysted animal not only successfully withstands the adverse conditions of life, but also enjoys a far and wide dispersal.
- The animals become active and emerge from the cyst when the conditions become favorable.
- After emerging from the cyst, they resume their normal free-swimming life.
- The individuals may undergo a single or several divisions in the cyst and this stage is called the palmella stage.
- Reproduction of Euglena | Binary Fission, Multiple Fission & Encystment | Diagram
- Locomotion (Movement) and Nutrition of Euglena | Diagram
- Structure of Euglena with Labeled Diagram
- General Characters of All Phylum of The Invertebrates.
Md Ekram Hossain Bhuiyan is a passionate student currently pursuing his studies at Jagannath University in Dhaka. He is a zoology major and his love for animals, nature, and wildlife is evident in his academic pursuits. Ekram is a curious and adventurous individual who always seeks to learn more about the world around him. His passion for animals began at a young age, and he has since dedicated himself to studying the behavior, anatomy, and habitats of various species.
He finds peace in being surrounded by the beauty of nature and observing the creatures that call it home. He believes that it is important to protect and preserve the natural world for future generations.
As a student of zoology, Ekram is dedicated to expanding his knowledge of the subject. He is a hardworking individual who strives for excellence in his studies and is always eager to take on new challenges. Ekram is a driven and compassionate individual who is dedicated to his studies and his passion for animals, nature, and wildlife.