In this article, we will learn 1. Systematic position, 2. Habit and habitat, 3. Ompok pabda characters, 4. Diagram of Ompok pabda, 5. Ecological importance and 6. Economic importance of Pabda. The common name of Ompok pabda is “Pabdah catfish”, “Madhu Pabda”, “Pabda”, “Pabo”, “Pahboh”, and “Pava” etc. It is listed as endangered species in Bangladesh.
Species: Ompok pabda
Habit and Habitat
1. They are freshwater catfish.
2. They are found in South and Southeast Asia.
3. Found in mainly Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bhutan, and Myanmar.
4. They are found in rivers, streams, lakes, ponds, etc.
5. They are omnivorous.
6. They feed on algae, protozoans, crustaceans, etc.
7. Sometimes they are predatory by eating smaller fishes and fish eggs and larvae.
8. They breed from May to July.
Diagram of Ompok Pabda
Identifying Characteristics of Ompok pabda
1. The body is elongated and laterally compressed.
2. The head is dorso-ventrally flattened.
3. Approximately 25-30 cm in length.
4. Snout is rounded.
5. Body has no scales.
6. Mouth is present in the anterior end of the head and the lower jaw is much longer.
7. Eyes are sub-cutaneous.
8. Two pairs of barbels are present.
9. Maxillary barbels extend to the end of the pectoral fin or middle of the anal fin.
10. Five types of fins are present and they are dorsal, pectoral, pelvic, anal, and caudal. The pectoral and pelvic fins are paired.
12. Dorsal fin situated above on last half of pectoral.
12. Pectoral fins have smooth spines.
13. Anal fin long.
14. Caudal fin forked.
15. Lateral line present.
16. Body color is generally silvery grey, darkest on the back, and fading white on the belly.
17. Fin formula: D. 4; P1. 12-14 (1/11 – 13); P2. 8; A. 53-59
1. They are freshwater catfish and part of the freshwater ecosystem.
2. They are mainly found in rivers, streams, lakes, ponds, etc.
3. They are omnivorous.
4. They feed on algae, crustaceans, worms, etc.
5. Sometimes they are predatory.
6. They are eaten by larger predatory or monster fishes.
7. Birds like herons and kingfishers also eat them.
8. They are very tasteful food for humans and other animals.
Economic Importance of Ompok pabda
1. It has high demand in the local fish market of Bangladesh and India.
2. It has a high market price for its taste.
3. It is now being cultivated by the farmers.
4. Businessmen import and export this fish and put an important role in a country’s GDP.
5. Doctors prescribe this fish for physically weak patients as this fish contains high proteins and minerals.
6. Some farmers of Bangladesh and India practice aquaponics with this fish.
2. Ompok wiki.